Monday, January 1, 2018

Yearly Goals 1-1-18

Dear Me,

Can’t quite believe it’s 2018 already; it feels like five minutes ago I was writing my 2017 goals. Not that I did so well with those…

I feel like I was probably too ambitious with my goals last year and set myself unrealistic targets in terms of the amount of writing I can actually achieve.  So this year I’m going to be a little less ambitious.  My job is intense and busy and I often just don’t have anything left in the tank at the end of the day.  I didn’t even meet my reading goal for 2017, which is unheard of for me.  I usually go way over my target.  Okay, 180 books may have been too many, but I also think I read a lot more really long books this year too, and that compounded the issue.

So, 2018.  What do I want to achieve?

I have a few more books that are ready to go out, so I hope to publish at least one book in 2018, if not two.   I like working with my publisher, despite their rather limited distribution. Doing the publicity and promotion is challenging, but I’m learning more each time, so I hope to have figured out the best things to do for the least money as I keep publishing.  I also hope to begin developing a fan base, something you can’t really do when you only have one book available.

I plan to revise SHOOK to take the various agents’ feedback into account.  And I’d like to finish one or both the books I started during 2017’s NaNo.  I may even revisit my 2016 NaNo book to see if I actually like anything about it anymore.

I would like to complete at least one new title in 2018.  It feels like over the last couple of years I’ve started a lot of books, but somehow haven’t managed to finish anything.  2018 is the year I actually finish something.  Maybe even two or three somethings…  But let’s not be too ambitious.

In other, non-writing areas, I plan to exercise more.  This year I’ve made it to the gym once a week most weeks, which is hopeless.  I am determined that in 2018 I will make it to the gym at least twice a week in my lunchbreak as well as my usual Saturday morning class. 

With both the kids growing up rapidly, I would also like to try and do something with my partner at least once a week.  Something other than doing the weekly grocery shop which has become our date night since we moved to the new house.

And finally, I want to be more social on social media again.  When I first used Twitter I made friends with lots of people and enjoyed really engaging with them.  Since starting my new job three years ago,  my time for non-work-related social media has been much more limited and I miss the connections I used to have with people.  I plan to use my commuting time much more productively this year and socialize on social media more.

As always, I’ll check in on these goals around the middle of the year, and again at the end to see how I’m tracking.

What are your goals for 2018?






5 comments:

  1. Best of luck with all your goals this year. They sound excellent to me.

    My goals this year are entirely too ambitious, and I have a feeling that I shall regret that part way through the year...if not this month. :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. I hope you have a wonderful and productive 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that having followed this blog for a while now, on a regular basis, I know the projects you're talking about. Good luck with them in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to read what’s next from you! Good job setting reasonable and healthy goals for yourself. -Jessica Lucci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your goals. I'm hoping to get a YA rewritten and published this year as well as have a Patreon for my writing since I had to quit my day job due to health.

    ReplyDelete